Locos‎ > ‎

Accucraft Ragleth

Chris Bird

An introduction to the Locomotive

Here we have a beginners tour round the loco on my kitchen table:

YouTube Video

Here we have the first steam up of a new loco. It includes clearing a blocked gas jet and then a run outside:

YouTube Video

And here we have a quick guide to fitting a Summerlands Chuffer, followed by a run on the railway.

YouTube Video

Fitting Radio Control

The Accucraft ragleth can be purchased with single channel radio control, working on the reversing lever, and for this, the regulater is opened a certain amount (one learns by experience) and the reverser is operated using the left hand stick on the transmitter - with centre being stopped, up being forward and down being reverse.

I wanted the flexibility of radio control on both regulator and reverser as there is no question that the loudest chuff comes from full gear and driving on the regulator.

My Ragleth was to be re-bodied with the Swift Sixteen "Owain" body, so my first task was to make sure that the reverser servo was positioned to allow the body to be removed and replaced. The tiny micro-servo was then mounted on a simple bracket bent from brass and bolted through the footplate. I used 2mm control rod from my local model shop, routed to miss the libricator and the bodywork. I reckon those 8BA screws could do with shortening!

The on/off switch was fitted into the slot provided and then a four AA battery pack and the RadioLink 2.4 ghz receiver just fitted into the box under the rear of the footplate. it was quite a squash - especially as I had to fit a piece of 2mm plastic between the receiver and the frame to reduce heat transfer. These receivers do not like getting hot!

I initially mounted the micro servo for the regulator on to the footplate useing foam adhesive pads, but they were just not up to the job (I gather the servo tape for this purpose is much better).
My remedy was to make a small brass plate with holes to match the two bolts holding the step in place. the servo was epoxied to this plate (after removing its foil label and adhesive) and the job was done. I made up a simple regulator arm from brass, but one could drill the arm of the original regulator. In my case, I used the original as a replacement for the gas control knob.