Railways‎ > ‎Russet Tor Railway‎ > ‎

Buildings for the Russet Tor


I stumbled upon this method of construction thanks largely to Amazon's packaging department! Have received my order in the usual box that was ten times the size required for its contents, the excess volume was taken up by polystyrene sheet as packing.
Back in my OO days I kept such sheet as potential landscaping material and duly stored it it the tardis that doubles as our loft.
On the basis that the stuff must be waterproof, or why else would they use it as swimming floats, decided to give it a go.
The first building was a short row of cottages. Have no in construction photos unfortunately, but I needed additional sheet and located very large sheets at a very cheap price in my local Wickes. They were slightly thicker than the Amazon free issue, but that was no problem.

I had a desire to build a new pub for my slowly developing village scene and found a suitable prototype to base it upon, as I find this tends to produce a more realistic result than making it up and it's easier to copy than have to think too much!

I was looking for a rendered building, as that would be relatively easy to recreate on the polystyrene base.  

This is the web image I decided was 'the one' although the keen eyed will note it's not a pub at all - I'm putting that down to the economic climate and a change in use.

Having found my prototype I drew up some rough elevation drawings as to an overall size that would fit the available plot. This inevitably resulted in a smaller impression of the real thing, but I felt I had managed to keep the general feel and the interesting projecting chimney detail.

Cutting the sheets is very easy with those cheap snap off type craft knives. I extend the blade 'cassette' to suit the depth of the sheet and away we go. It can be a bit messy and difficult to vacuum up the bits but not too bad.
I know there are excellent hot wire cutters out there that would solve the mess creation problem but my version is practically free.

This was the basic shell construction completed. I stuck the walls together using two part epoxy with added triangular strengtheners.
The windows are again my usual clear embossed sheet supply, with one recycled ground floor window from the bit box.

The next stage is the render, which is ready mixed waterproof tile and grout applied to the polystyrene which I treated with pva as a bonding coat.Simply applied with a simple spreader and worked to create the desired finish. Left to dry at least 24 hrs and then given a further sealing coat of pva before finishing with match pot masonry paints and a light wash weathering.

the chimney brickwork is Brandbright sheet. The pots are plastic inserts sold for plastic hot and cold water plumbing pipework in BandQ.
The Sherlock Arms is lettering from a Coopercraft station sigh kit. The Braeburn Ales is a stencil created using Word. Roof tiles are my usual self adhesive vinyl floor tiles on a 2mm plasticard base.

The final shot is of the building now planted out. Still need to finish the surrounding walling and make some picnic benches for the summer drinkers to rest awhile whilst watching the trains go by on the nearby Russet Tor.